I am an educator working at the very exciting intersection of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education and mathematics education. My blog exists to discuss, encourage and promote improved teaching and learning with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. This is because maths opens doors to career, lifetime and community opportunities and at the moment, many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students are not accessing these opportunities.
The mathematics and numeracy outcomes of many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students continue to be alarmingly behind those of their non-Indigenous counterparts. This is not right or fair especially when many come to school with similar numeracy understandings as their non-Indigenous peers.
Hence this site, and some of my thoughts, writings and resources I’ve developed over the last few years relating to maths and Aboriginal students. Many people have asked about them so hopefully having them all in the one place will make them more accessible and hopefully useful. As with many things in my professional life, they are a work in progress as I’m open to new ideas and knowledge and things that challenge my thinking and keep it evolving.
Aboriginal Perspectives Mathematics Themes
Grade Level: grade 4 and 6
Description: This site is maintained by faculty and students at the University of Regina in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, from the Faculty of Education, the Faculty of Science and the Saskatchewan Urban Native Teacher Education Program program.
It became an internet site in September, 2009.
Grade Four Mathematics Workshop Themes
1. Red River Cart – Fractions (4 lesson plans)
2. Beads – Numeration, Patterns and Relations, Multiplication, Division (5 lesson plans)
3. Fur Trade – Sums Differences, Decimals, Statistics and Probability (3 lesson plans)
4. Metis Sash -Weaving, Shape and Space (2 lesson plans)
5. Star Quilt – Decimals and Fractions and Patterns (2 lesson plans)
6. Birch Bark Biting – Symmetry (1 lesson plan)
7. Games – Bar Graphs, Prediction (2 lesson plans)
8. Parfleche -Statistics, Area, Symmetry, prisms (3 lesson plans)
Grade Six Mathematics Lesson Plans
View original post 79 more words