Interested in some learning? These professional learning opportunities can be accessed through the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mathematics Alliance (ATSIMA).
There are three types of learning on offer:
- Strategies, lessons and ideas to use in the classroom next day
- Series of workshops
- Support to professional learning communities who want to develop mathematics pedagogy for Aboriginal students that is culturally, socially and academically responsive
All three of these types of PL are important for teachers. However, the more teachers we’ve have working in layer 3, the more chance we’ve got of making a real difference to learning outcomes.
Layers of professional learning
Layer 1: professional learning that looks for ideas to teach the next day
Layer 2: professional learning programs that offer packages
Layer 3: professional learning that is about deep pedagogic change or shift, changes a teacher’s thinking.
1. Strategies, lesson and ideas to use in the classroom next day
- Interactive numeracies: Maths situations in everyday Indigenous family and community life
- Maths through storytelling
5 ways forward to improving maths outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
2. Series of workshops on specific topic
- leading improved mathematics outcomes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
3. Support to professional learning communities
This is ongoing support as a critical friend for PLCs that want to develop mathematics pedagogy for Aboriginal students that is culturally, socially and academically responsive through an evidence based research or inquiry approach. See mathematics education for more information about responsive mathematics pedagogy.